iptables vs. Linux kernel version question

Is the a correspondence to be obeyed between the versions of the Linux kernel version & the iptables program ? Specifically, I run a Linux kernel 2.6.5. My actual version of iptables is 1.2.9. Can I replace the latter with an up-to-date version without conflict (or else, up to which version?) - and in the positive, is there anything to be gained from a new iptables program working with the older kernel ? Regards
--
Noino