Re: nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close value

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, pyoder3@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Find something which I did not fully understand but I was able to fix by
> changing the nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close value to 1 or 0.
>
> I had an application connect upto my server via a proxy server.
> Sometimes we would send a RST to the client which would close the
> netstat state of the connection but it seems that iptables
> (ip_conntrack) does not clear the session right away. What you find is
>
> tcp 6 9 CLOSE src=192.168.13.2 dst=10.12.13.14 sport=22052 dport=18292
> src=10.12.13.14 dst=192.168.13.2 sport=18292 dport=22052 [ASSURED] use=1
>
> which I find out will remain like this for a 10 second window (set by
> nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close default value)
>
> Normally this is not a problem but the client proxy server is sending up
> an ACK to our RST packet which will now pass the iptables rule I have
> for ESTABLISHED connections since it is in the ip_conntrack with the
> ASSURED flag set. We will then send another RST and again an ACK from
> the client.

The proxy server is broken: a RST segment must never be ACK-ed. As the
application server is in the CLOSED state, it'll answer the ACK with a RST
and the result is the loop you found. Fix the proxy server.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx