Re: Stopping ip_conntrack_max from resetting

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:59:12 +0100 (CET), Jan Engelhardt
<jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 2008-03-24 15:09, Richard Andrews wrote:
>> Hello,

Hi,

>> We have a system running iptables, of which due to the incoming
>> traffic we've had to increase ip_conntrack_max via sysctl.
>> However, when restarting the service during any maintenance the
>> value we pass during sysctl.conf is reset to the default 65536.
>> Which then we are forced to run "sysctl -p" to reload our custom
>> value.  Is there a way to stop the iptables service from rewriting
>> ip_conntrack_max when issued a restart/reload?
>
> That seems to be a bug of your distribution, because on mine,
> sysctl.conf is read and applied on boot.

Running Debian Sid, I can get the same behaviour. This is not
a bug, just a matter of boot sequence.

If you load sysctl configuration before your module is loaded
(should be nf_conntrack_ipv4, not quite sure), the entry
net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max does not exist yet, so it
is not possible to set it to its value.

To get it work, I just added it to my module list, in order to
load it at boot time before my sysctl configuration.

---
Franck Joncourt
http://www.debian.org/ - http://smhteam.info/wiki/