Re: Why does ipv6 enabled interfere with ipv4 SNAT?

On Tuesday 2008-03-25 02:28, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
I for some reason took a look in
/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf. (Ubuntu insists on running ipv6 by default.) There
was an anomoly: The new machine has 6 NICs, and while ipv4/conf had eth0
through eth5, ipv6/conf only had them through eth3 - just the first 4.

Just what _do_ you actually have in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf?
Just 4 entries seems a bit spartanic, since there are also
the "all" and "default" entries:

# ls /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/
all default lo rtl0 sis0 tun0 vmnet1

NAT-out device is sis0. Even if I add in a number of dummies,
all remains normal:

all      dummy0  dummy2  dummy4  dummy6  dummy8  lo    sis0  vmnet1
default  dummy1  dummy3  dummy5  dummy7  dummy9  rtl0  tun0

It still works with opensuse plus 2.6.23. Well, I suggest you
try a stock kernel.

Finally, is the Ubuntu Server project being boneheaded to even have ipv6
enabled by default, if it's still this far from being ready for prime time?

I would not say IPv6 was not ready.

Servers should be rock-solid at basic functions like SNAT out-of-the-box,
IMHO.