Re: PPPoE on a bridge, nat sees bridge as incoming interface

On 3/6/2008 11:22 AM, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
I am having trouble understaning how bridging and iptables fit together. The situation that bugs me is: if I do a PPPoE connection over a bridge with a single physical port, my nat table will see any incoming packet as coming from the bridge interface, and not the ppp interface. Why?

With out going any further in your email (I've read the rest but IMHO this takes precedence). Is your kernel configured to have IPTables see your bridged traffic? Is "CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER" enabled in your kernel? Here is a quote from help from menuconfig about Bridge Netfilter:

"Enabling this option will let arptables resp. iptables see bridged ARP resp. IP traffic. If you want a bridging firewall, you probably want this option enabled. Enabling or disabling this option doesn't enable or disable ebtables."

If you turn this off your bridging will be a purely layer 2 operation that IPTables (and ARPTables) will be completely oblivious of. If you wish to filter bridged traffic you will have to use EBTables. Incidentally I have had better luck turning this off (unless I had to have IPTables filtering of bridged traffic) and using EBTables to filter bridged traffic. I consider this to be use layer 3 filtering (IPTables and ARPTables) for layer 3 traffic and use layer 2 filtering (EBTables) for layer 2 traffic. In other words don't use layer 3 filtering for layer 3 and 2 traffic which is what this does. Granted you can use IPTables to filter layer 2 traffic, however you have to be aware of the ramifications and account for them in your firewall and logic in your head.

Grant. . . .