RV: optimizations for large rule sets

hi!

 I am trying to make use of a large number of rules
 with iptables.

 I have seen there are some optimizations referenced
 like nf-HiPAC (www.hipac.org) , iptables with
 classifiers (www.geocities.com/hamidreza_jm) which
 appearently can deal with thousands of rules (thats
 what i need).

 I want per flow (orig addr,dst addr, orig port, dst
 port, proto) filtering thats why i don´t think i can
 use ipsets (or can i?)
 I also would like to have the nice iptables features
 like  mangle table and counters ..

 I dont really understand what the conntrack does, or
 if it can somehow helpme (where is the nice
 documentation about this??)

 What is the netfilter preferred way to have a large
 set of rules and still do packet filtering?  are
 HiPAC, iptables with classifiers or any other
 solution
 actual?

 is there a howto,manual,some kind of
 documentation, all that I find about this are quite
 old (3 years?) material in the mailing list ... Is
 this problem already solved? what was the solution
 taken?

 well if you could answer any of this questions i
 would
 be very thankful

 Alberto Diez