Re: Session tracking failure - ssh packets dropped as INVALID

John Zornig wrote:
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal
>
> seems to work for my systems. No more INVALID packets.
>
> Some of the netfilter firewall how-to guides I've found say that
> ip_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal should never be set on a firewall. So I'm
> still left wondering if I'm working around a bug and my firewall is
> not as strict as it should be, or are these how-to's all wrong.

This is just a workaround for a bug.

Are you using a recent kernel?

It would be good to work with Jozsef to get this fixed if you are able
to help debug it.  Also report it on the netfilter-devel list.

To debug, I think the first steps are to enable logging with:

	modprobe ipt_LOG
	echo 255 >/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_log_invalid

and check your syslog for errors.

Also get a tcpdump of the ssh traffic with something like:

	tcpdump -i eth0 -s 0 -w dump.pcap tcp port 22
-