MASQUERADE/SNAT before IPsec

Hello!

I'm trying to achieve the following:

I would like to connect a LAN behind a NAT gateway to an IPsec VPN.
The IPsec VPN gets connected to via IPsec tunnelmode by the NAT
gateway that is getting a single dynamic IP address valid on the
VPN and this is what the LAN machines had to be MASQUERADEd to.

On the NAT gateway a WAN address is assigned to eth0 and the
dynamic IPsec VPN address is assigned to eth0:0. I can ping hosts
on the IPsec VPN through the tunnel from the NAT gateway itself
but I cannot ping them from any LAN hosts behind the gateway.

The problem is that when I set up proper FORWARD and MASQUERADE rules
for the LAN network, the MASQUERADEd packets seem to go out on eth0
unencrypted without ever getting into the IPsec tunnel. I have also
tried -j SNAT --to-source <address of eth0:0 valid on IPsec VPN>
just to be sure and the same thing happens as with MASQUERADE.

Environment: linux-2.6.22, iptables-1.3.8

Is this behaviour intentional?
How could I achieve what I described above?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Sab
-