SNAT every packet in a connection

I have 2 WAN connections on my Linux router and I'd like to do
load-balancing  of packets relating to the same connection.
There are lots of examples out on the net for setting up routes and
rules to send packets
to both links - and I have got those working - however I want to NAT
the source IP address of the outgoing packets based on the packet MARK
so that  I can make each packet  go out with the IP address of the
outgoing interface.

>From whatever I've read and seen myself, the NAT table is only
traversed for the first packet of a connection.
Hence packets in a  single connection will always be SNATed to the
same IP  - Hence the packets going out on one of the interfaces will
not have the right source IP.

I'm starting to take a look at ip_nat_core.c ip_nat_standalone.c   -
would it make sense to try to modify those to achieve what I want ?
So far I've been using dumb NAT to achieve this  - but it is very
primitive.

Thanks in advance.
-