Support for ICMP Time Exceeded in REJECT target ?

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to add some layer 3 functionalities to a Linux-based layer 2
bridge.

The goal is to enumerate the bridges between two endpoints using the
traceroute command. As the Linux bridge code routes frames at the ethernet
level, the IP TTL is not decremented and no ICMP Time Exceeded reply is sent,
making the bridge transparent.

I experimented with iptables and found out that I can decrement the TTL in the
PREROUTING chain (mangle table) with

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-dec 1

To generate an ICMP Time Exceeded reply when the TTL reaches zero, I tried the
REJECT target in the FORWARD chain (filter table). The REJECT target doesn't
support ICMP Time Exceeded, but it was pretty straightforward to fix this.

Adding

iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -m ttl --ttl-eq 0 -j REJECT --reject-with
icmp-time-exceeded

the bridges show up in the traceroute output.

Why doesn't REJECT support ICMP Time Exceeded ? Is there a good reason, or is
it just that nobody has needed it yet ? Should I submit a patch (Linux kernel
netfilter + userspace iptables) ?

I know that my application breaks the OSI model and creates some kind of
hybrid "layer 2.5" device. I'm open to suggestions regarding a better way to
implement bridges enumeration between two ethernet hosts, but using the
traceroute command is a customer requirement which could only be changed with
strong valid reasons.

Best regards,

--
Laurent Pinchart