Re: Limiting httpd traffic

Hi there,

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Umut Arus wrote:

> We want to limiting httpd outgoing traffic in a proxy server,

Do you mean "httpd outgoing traffic" or "HTTP outgoing traffic"?

> in the scenario, one user should be connects to one web site (one IP)
> in limited connection (for example max. 10).

You are thinking of it in the way the user of a Web browser thinks of
it.  Read about how HTTP traffic works.  After a single HTTP request
has been processed, the TCP connection may no longer exist - although
the user may still be reading a page fron the Website to which he sent
the request.

You need to make your objective clearer before you propose a solution,
and give more information.  For example, how many users will there be?
How much traffic will they generate, expressed both as connections and
as bytes per unit time?  Will the limits be fixed or variable?  Do you
not care about incoming traffic at all?  Do the connection limits only
apply to simultaneous connections or to connections within some time?

> I don't think that requirement does not meet with --connlimit-above
> parameter. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure exactly what that sentence means, so I don't know if it's
wrong. :)  But I do not think that you will be able to do what you want
to do in the way that you propose.

> Is it possible to type a rule with ipfilter command?

I do not know of an 'ipfilter' command.  Perhaps you need to see

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/

which has no connection with iptables.

--

73,