Text based filesystem interfaces (instead of netlink)

Hi folks,

while tracking some problems with an pynix based distro (they've
changed some bit in the kernel<->userland interface), I wondered
why netfilter doesn't do the kernel interface entirely via an
synthetic filesystem (or maybe within sysfs).

IMHO evrything could be very easy if the netfilter objects
(tables, chains, rules, etc) were represented by an fs tree.
For example we would have no binary dependencies between
kernel and userland.

I'm currently playing around with Plan9 and 9P. It's amazing how
simple things can be if evrything's (really!) a file :)

cu