Where is nfmark stored on a package?

Greetings,

I was reading documentation about using iptables's connmark along with
iproute2, but I didn't find documentation about how exactly this package
marking is done. I read on some places that it isn't done by changing
any TCP header. How exactly does that work?

Thank you.

--
Diego Alencar Alves de Lima
Linux User #405564