Re: Problem with DNAT of UDP packets getting undone

On 11/06/07 11:03, Martijn Lievaart wrote:
This is expected. A nat mapping is set up on the first packet of a "connection" and a reverse NAT is done automagically on all return packets. Exactly what you are seeing.

I'll agree to the NATing part. However the fact that the OP is successfully using the loopback interface surprises me. It was my (mis)understanding that the loopback interface was holly and would not talk to traffic that did not originate or terminate on the loopback interface as well. Or is the a side effect that the NATing code is sending the traffic out the loopback interface destined to the loopback interface as well, thus NATing is bridging the security barrier? I am almost positive that the same could not be done with routing.

This cannot easily be solved with current Linux kernels. Current kernels only do connection oriented NAT. You could insert a Cisco device or something similar to do the kind of NAT you require.

Would it be possible to use stateless NATing via IP Route 2 rather than IPTables to achieve this?

But......, the loadbalancer does DNAT, so it shoud do the corresponding SNAT on the return packets. If it does not do this, it is seriously broken, imnsho.

Remember that the OP said "... The DNS servers are supposed to send their responses directly to the client via an internet connection that is not behind the load balancer. ...". Thus the reply traffic is not passing back out through the load balancer and as such the load balancer never sees the traffic to undo the NATing in place.

My recommendation to the OP is to set up the LVS in 'Direct Routing' mode with the VIP bound to an additional non-ARPing interface other than the loopback interface on all the real nodes. This way the LVS Director(s) will initially receive the traffic to the VIP and then re-route the traffic on to the real server node. The real server node will then receive the traffic destined to the VIP with the DNS server running on it. This way all the traffic is really to and from the VIP address(s). This scenario will allow the real server(s) to use a different route for the returning traffic than the original traffic used.

Grant. . . .
-