Re: Rate Limiting After a Threshold

Hi Michael,

Michael Hissler wrote:
[...]
The hashlimit match works the other way round. Try '-j ACCEPT' and
append a rule to drop/reject connections to this port.
You should also use the state match, as you want to filter connections,
not packets.

So try this:

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 23 -m state --state NEW -m hashlimit
--hashlimit 1/hour --hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-burst 1
--hashlimit-name test -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 23 -m state --state NEW -j REJECT

This still doesn't quite do what I want it to do (I'm able to open up more than 1 telnet session per IP per hour), but it's close enough for what I need.

I want to rate limit people using download acceleration programs on my Website. So I'm willing to let the first x connections in completely, then slow them down at a rate of y connections per minute up to z total connections. Where x, y and z will be determined at a later date. :)

In the past, I've had people open up 8 connections in a second, drop them almost immediately, then repeat. Do this for an hour, or have multiple people do this, and the load on my server starts going way up. (My Web site requires a lengthy authentication process that's fairly resource intensive. So it's usually a badly configured download acceleration program that cause problems.)

As to answer some other people's questions to me: I'm moving to vanilla Linux 2.6.21.3 and I'm only using telnet as a test port against my eventual port 80 goal. If I can rate limit telnet connections then I can rate limit http connections.

If anybody can improve on the above rules, please let me know. If not, like I said, it does enough for what I want. It's not perfect, but it'll work for me.

						John

--
| John Jung (john.j.jung@xxxxxxxxxxx) |    Siemens Automation and Drives    |