Re: ebtables v/s arptables

On 6/20/07, Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

You should consider posting your questions in the netfilter user list
rather than the netfilter developper list because they are user related
rather than developper related.

pankaj jain a écrit :

> As I was using arptables for responding arp-requests, I did not plumb
> the interfaces on my machine.

"Plumb" ? What do you mean ?

> Now I want to add a gateway from the same subnet, for example:
> I am sending arp responses for 203.200.192.24 (sorry if some one has
> this IP) using arp tables so I have not plumbed this IP on my
> interface

Again, what do you mean by "plumb" ?

> Now I want to add a gateway e.g. 203.200.192.1 in the route table
> "ip route add default via  203.200.192.1 dev eth0 table 10"
> but when I try this it says
> RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable

You got this error from the route command because a gateway must be
directly reachable on an interface but there is no direct route to the
203.200.192.1 via eth0 in the routing table.

However I do not understand why you want to use an address that does not
exist as a gateway. Could you explain your goal ?

(You may reply by posting a message on the netfilter user list)

Hi
Plumbing means I did not assign the IP 203.200.192.24 to any of my
interfaces, instead I was using arptables to respond the arp requests
for this IP.
The gateway exists on the same subnet but because I did not assign the
IP to any of my interfaces, ip route rejects the gateway add command.
but now I understood that first I had to add the network route for that gateway.
I added the network route to the table 10 but it did not work
I had to add the same route to the main table also to make it work :).

why do I have to add the network route in the main table also ?

The command used are:

TRY - 1
ip route add default via  203.200.192.1 dev eth0 table 10  (did not work)
RESULT -> RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable

TRY - 2
ip route add 203.200.192.0/24 dev eth0 table 10
ip route add default via  203.200.192.1 dev eth0 table 10
RESULT -> RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable

TRY - 3
ip route add 203.200.192.0/24 dev eth0
ip route add default via  203.200.192.1 dev eth0 table 10
RESULT -> success

does network route of individual tables does not have any effect ??
--
Thanks
Pankaj Jain