Enforce Per User IP Traffic Quota

Hello,
 I have been searching for a way to limit certain users to a certain
amount of IP traffic per month. So far I have found the quota
extension but it seems very simple in the way that it tracks traffic.
I would like to be able to save the quota data to disk every hour or
so in case the machine goes down and automatically add a filter. I am
also concerned that inbound traffic will not match the owner filter.

Am I attempting to use the incorrect tools? What is the best way to
enforce a per user ip traffic quota?

Thank you,
 Gardner

--