using packet filtering to discover TCP end-to-end latency

Hello,

I need to discover the TCP end-to-end latency between web clients and servers transparently (i.e. without altering the clients or the servers in any way). I have squid running as a proxy server on a linux box, sitting between the clients and the servers. I can have the clients change their proxy settings to have requests pass through squid. Squid can measure latencies between itself and the web servers. The problem is to measure the network latency when squid tries to forward the server responses back to clients.

Can packet filtering help me with this? Can I, for example, filter for the client ACK of the last bit of data sent from squid back to the client?

Also, I still need to device a solution to measure network latency experienced by the client's SYN sent to the squid box. Any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Rohit Grover.