connection refused trying to bind AF_INET to AF_NETLINK/NETFILTER socket

Hi,
I am trying to use the NETFILTER libraries to read from iptable
queues. I am running linux 2.6.15 and have super-user priv's. But when
I try to run the sample program from netfilter (nfq_test.c) it complains that the connection was refused during the unbind, bind, or  create_queue
routines. I verified that the socket gets created correctly but then I get:

melty4:/localdisk/stargen# ./a.out
opening library handle
Socket: 3
unbinding nfnetlink_queue as nf_queue handler for AF_INET
sendmsg on socket: 3
nfnl_talk: sendmsg(netlink) Connection refused
error during nfq_unbind_pf()

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Scott

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."