Re: Policy targets...

Gáspár Lajos wrote:
Hi all,

I was reading the iptables manual because I needed the correct arguments of the policy (-P) command.
Here it is:

      -P, --policy chain target
Set the policy for the chain to the given target. See the section TARGETS for the legal targets. Only built-in (non-user-defined) chains can have policies, and neither built-in nor user-defined chains can be policy targets.

So I checked the TARGETS.

TARGETS
A firewall rule specifies criteria for a packet, and a target. If the packet does not match, the next rule in the chain is the examined; if it does match, then the next rule is specified by the value of the target, which can be the name of a user-defined chain or one of the special values ACCEPT,
      DROP, QUEUE, or RETURN.

My question is: What is the difference between the ACCEPT and the RETURN target in policy ??? :D

in http://node1.yo-linux.com/cgi-bin/man2html?cgi_command=iptables :

TARGETS
(...)

*ACCEPT means to let the packet through.*
DROP means to drop the on the floor. QUEUE means to pass the packet to userspace (if ported by the kernel). *RETURN means stop traversing this chain and
      resume at the next rule in the previous (calling) chain.	 If  the  end
      of a built-in chain is reached or a rule in a built-in chain with tar-
      get RETURN is matched, the target specified by the chain policy deter-
      mines the fate of the packet.*

Best Regards
pandre