ip_conntrack crashs box with kernel 2.6.13.1

Hi,

we (some guys at the german IP-Phone-Forum http://www.ip-phone-forum.de)
have some trouble with the ip_conntrack kernel module on the AVM Fritz!Boxes
(embedded DSL/WLAN/VoIP devices, very popular in Germany).
The (newest) firmwares of these boxes run with kernel version 2.6.13.1
(mipsel platform, 32 MB RAM).

The problem is that the box crashs or reboots (probably triggered by the internal watchdog) as soon as the ip_conntrack module is simply loaded via modprobe/insmod. There is no need for creating any rule with iptables, loading the module is sufficient
and the box hangs after exactly 3 hours (+-5min).

Firstly, we suspected a low-on-memory condition so I studied the source code. I found out that the hashsize is calculated upon a wrong value (256 buckets should be
normal for 32 MB RAM, the module uses 2816 buckets). But also when limiting
the hashsize via module parameter the problem still exists.

I don't know enough about the netfilter internals, but I wonder what happens after 3h. There should be still enough free memory (some guys already tried adding swap space).

The fun has just begun: unloading the ip_conntrack module after 2 hours via cron,
re-loading it etc. and the crash/reboot doesn't occur.

We also enabled some additional printk in the module for debugging, but
dmesg/syslog/console doesn't give any useful approach for tracking down the problem...

You can read the following forum thread with contain some additional infos (in german, sorry):
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=134683

Any hints?

Thanks,
Michael