Re: Port forwarding not working (nfcan: to exclusive)

On 04/28/2007 11:15:33 PM, Neil Aggarwal - neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a Linux box acting as a firewall and gateway
> for my local internet.  The private IP is 192.168.1.1
>
> Behind that, I have a Linksys VPN box.  Its IP
> is 192.168.1.101.
>
> If I go to my Linux box and issue this command:
>
> telnet 192.168.1.101 1723
>
> I get this output:
>
> Trying 192.168.1.101...
> Connected to 192.168.1.101 (192.168.1.101).
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> Everything is fine.  I can connect to the Linksys box
> without a problem.
>
> Now, I want to set up routing from the external world
> to be able to access the Linksys box.
>
> I added this rule to my firewall to do the forwarding:
>
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 -d $ETH0_IP
> 	--sport 1024: --dport 1723
> 	-j DNAT --to $LINKSYS_VPN_IP:1723

> It is all one one line, I added link breaks for readability.

OK, you have forwarded this port from the firewall to the vpn  box.
Now you have to accept it.
(You must have a default drop policy in forward.)

> When I tried to telnet to port 1723 on my public IP, I saw logs
> from my firewall for inbound packets so I added these rules:
>
> /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -d $LINKSYS_VPN_IP
> 	-p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1723
> 	-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -d $LINKSYS_VPN_IP
> 	-p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1723
> 	-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

You need packets to flow in both directions.
The outside should be able to initiate
so the first rule looks good:

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -d $LINKSYS_VPN_IP
	-p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1723
	-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

But you need to accept the return packets.
How about this for the return pattern:

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -s $LINKSYS_VPN_IP
	-p tcp --sport 1723
	-m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

The accept in the nat postrouting can be removed.

HTH

--
Jim Laurino
nfcan.x.jimlaur@xxxxxxxx