Re: Masquerade based on skb->mark ?

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Apr 26 2007 12:20, Ben Greear wrote:

iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -m mark --mark 10001
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1  -j MARK --set-mark 10001
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth2  -j MARK --set-mark 10001
Because otherwise it seems to me that there is only a single
conn-tracking tuple for src -- dest, and it also seems to me that
the conn-track entity has the should-we-NAT flags (in the 'status'
bitfield).

A ct tuple, to my knowledge, constitutes (srcip, srcport, dstip, dstport).
Whether a connection is actually NATed or nat, is for you to decide
(MASQUERADE, SNAT, SAME, you name it.)

From looking at this method in net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_core.c,
I assume it stores NAT decision as well:

/* Do packet manipulations according to nf_nat_setup_info. */
unsigned int nf_nat_packet(struct nf_conn *ct,
                           enum ip_conntrack_info ctinfo,
                           unsigned int hooknum,
                           struct sk_buff **pskb)
{
        /* Non-atomic: these bits don't change. */
        if (ct->status & statusbit) {
                struct nf_conntrack_tuple target;

                /* We are aiming to look like inverse of other direction. */
                nf_ct_invert_tuplepr(&target, &ct->tuplehash[!dir].tuple);

My scenario involves virtual routers (ie, routing tables with rules
so that pkts hit certain routing tables)

	ip rule add src 192.168.123.0/24 table 7
or	ip rule add fwmark 999 table 666

Yes, I'm using commands similar to the first line.  I have not tried
using fwmark.

for example would do (I assume you do that)

and sending packets through (virtual) looped-back ethernet ports,
so the same source-dest tuple will be seen on multiple interfaces. I need a different tuple for the flow that should be NATed (so only
that flow is NATed), so that is why I added the MARK rules and the
mark field to the conn-track tuple.

Why is a different tuple needed?

Isn't the decision to NAT or not stored in the ct->status bitfield?

If so, then if I want to NAT some packets and not others,
they must belong to different tuples.

If virtual router 1 is routing pkts from 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2,
and virtual router 2 is routing pkts from 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2, and I
only want to NAT pkts leaving virtual router 1, then I think I
have to somehow force different ct tuples based on which virtual
router the pkts are flowing through.  I was trying to do this by
MARKing packets entering a device in a particular virtual router
and using the mark as part of the tuple....

Thanks,
Ben

Regards,
Jan