Netfilter architectural documentation ?

Is there documentation (other than the source code) of
aspects of the software architecture of netfilter in
the Linux kernel, i.e., whether/when inspected packet
headers are cached for future lookups; when/how the
different hash tables get used, etc.? I understand
iptables, conntrack, networking, and firewalls. I need
to make some performance assessments of iptables
constructs for config files for a high performance
application. E.g., whether there is a performance hit
for using IP range match and multiport range
constructs. I haven't found appropriate documentation.

thank you.