Re: Accept DNS Suffix

On Mar 20 2007 11:08, Dominic Caputo wrote:

> I currently have an ISP that has multiple address ranges that I
> wish to accept in my iptables ruleset. Is it possible for me to use
> the DNS Suffix instead of the actual ip as they are currently
> dynamically assigned. e.g. iptables -s nsw.bigpond.net.au (current
> assigned address is cpe-203-45-103-100.nsw.bigpond.net.au).

Not possible*. iptables is handling ip, not dns.

> Alternatively if the above is not available would I be able to
> setup a dyndns account and get my dsl modem to update the account
> and within my iptables config set: iptables -s homegw.dynalias.com

See your distro documentation. openSUSE for example accepts custom
scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d with which you can call
iptables after dial-in. Anyway, not really a netfilter issue.

* I refrain from posting possibilities that would end up as Layering
Violations. Also, this would be prone to either (a) deadlock or (b)
slipthrough.

Jan