arp question

Not sure if this is the right forum but any help would be appreciated. My NIC support up to 16 unicast MAC address which can be assigned to different H/W queue. The cpu is only connected to one ethernet network and all packet destined to a specific subnet are routed over PCI (not as is, multiple packets manipulations are done beforehand). I am trying to make use of this feature to, hopefully, enable faster routing.

I would like to assign a different MAC for a specific subnet and respond to arp request for that subnet. - Current proxy-arp implementation is not what I want. Proxy-arp with subneting seem to be what I need but it does not seem to be supported anymore (as of 2.2?). - Adding arp entry with the publish flags disregard the provided address and use the one from the network interface. - constant gratuitous ARP on the entire subnet could work but I am not sure about the reliability of this method.

I'll modify the kernel (2.6.20) if I have to but there has to be a simpler way.
Thanks.