Re: IPTables and different types of NAT

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
"Full Cone Nat" could easily be implemented with inbound redirection to the internal system.

"Full cone NAT" can be implemented with 1-to-1 bidirectional NAT using SNAT+DNAT or NETMAP.

"Port Restricted Cone NAT" is nothing more than "Restricted Cone NAT" with port filtering. This is what is usually done if you have a server behind a NATing router / firewall. In this case, you only port forward the ports that you need.

No. Please read more carefully the definitions of "restricted cone NAT" and "port restricted cone NAT". Neither can be implemented with iptables because they do not fit in the per-connection model.

I'm not sure if there is inherent support for "Symmetric NAT" or not.

"Symmetric NAT" works on a per-connection basis and is the NAT form that is the easiest to implement with iptables using SNAT or MASQUERADE.

This is the main reason why I am asking: some people say it is possible to implement all this types of NAT, some say it's not.

Pascal, can you tell me where can I find information regarding the implementation of "Full Cone NAT" and "Symmetric NAT" using IPTables? All I can find is discussions about whether it is possible or not to implement this.

Thanks a lot
Pedro