Re: Filtering in PREROUTING

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 08:25 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
> george wrote:
> > I've seen a few places telling me that you shouldn't filter in the
> > mangle table.  However, it seems sensible to me to drop junk packets in
> > PREROUTING rather than have to duplicate those rules in both INPUT and
> > FORWARD.
>
> Rather than taking an absolutely closed minded approach and trying to
> convince you that I disagree and why, I'll ask this:
>
> Are your (any one posting to this thread) statements based on things you
> your self have experienced, or been told, or seen others experience, or
> are they based on theory by the fact that you could improve efficiency
> by filtering in the very first possible place?

The efficiency theory.

> What sort of system(s) are you using for your firewalls / routers?

It's a VIA miniITX 600M with 521M RAM but it's also my SOHO/home almost
everything except shared storage server. (Yes I know but the risk to
SOHO doesn't merit running multiple boxes).

> What sort of bandwidth are they filtering?

100M LAN with single figures boxes to 2M ADSL.#

> How many rules are in your rule set(s)?

3 in nat (really doing nat)
20 in mangle (including the arguable ones)
80 in filter