Re: Filtering in PREROUTING

On 01/17/07 16:17, Jorge Davila wrote:
Why filter in the mangle table? Internet is wild land. There are many circunstances: an web browser generating anormal traffic because some security hole in the web browser has been sucessfully exploited. A host taken or contamined by a virus. In that circunstances, the tcp/ip traffice generated can have "illegal" headers or the traffice can be an attack to some other device in our networks or to a device in remote network.

You should really do your filtering in the filter table. If you are worried about a compromised host sending malicious / malformed traffic out, you should filter in the filter table OUTPUT chain. For forwarded traffic, use the filter table FORWARD chain.

As we know, not all packets traverse the nat table thus we can not reliably filter any and all packets there.

Likewise, the mangle table is used for special purposes in the Linux kernel, namely to mangle or alter a packet in some way, say change the ToS / DifServ fields.

There is also the fact that a kernel may not even have the mangle table loaded in to the kernel.

You may know that you have filtered traffic in the mangle table, but what about the guy / gal that replaces you when you are hit by a Greyhound Buss? Will they know that you were / are filtering in the mangle table?

I think that some of the filtering match extensions will only work in the filter table, thus you could not use them in the mangle table.

Inspecting the packets headers in the mangle table and dropping the anormal traffic must be another mechanic for the "sanity" of the protected networks.

What can you do in mangle that you can not do in filter as far as filtering traffic goes?

I hope that my few paragraphs gives you some help to understand why filter in the mangle table. Of course, you must decide in what chain inside the mangle put your rules to protect your networks.

There are ways that work and then there are the proper ways to do things. I can format an entire raw disk drive. However, if any one else works on the system and sees that there is not a partition table they may assume that it is ok to use the disk. Or, I could make a MD device out of an entire disk, but the Linux kernel would not know that the disk is a RAID AutoDetect drive b/c there is no partition table there to tell it such.

Some times there are reasons to do non standard things for very special reasons, usually very stringent performance reasons. If you are wanting to filter in the mangle table to prevent the connection tracking system from seeing traffic (if even that will do so), you should consider the raw table, which is used specifically to tell the kernel not to track specific packets. Oh, by the way, the raw table only has PREROUTING and OUTPUT chains.

Grant. . . .