Re: Natted packets

On 01/08/07 15:43, Lucas Diaz wrote:
Is it possible to know if a packet passing through my router is (s)natted?
And the original (s)natted IP?

I'm not sure if this applies or not, but something that I just read made me think about your question.

If you are wanting to prevent someone on your network from NATing multiple IPs behind a router, say you are a provider for a building, you might be able to stop them with this.

Set the TTL of packets passing back through your router to your clients to 1. This will probably cause any internal router to drop packets seeing a TTL exceeded.

I will not say any thing to the effect that this will have on things like TraceRoute, other than it will probably have an effect.

Also, this would be fairly easy to get around on a capable router, say Linux, in such as it would be easy to detect an inbound packet with a TTL of 1 and set it higher.

Grant. . . .