ways to modify iptables inside C/C++ aplication

Hi,

Short version:

Is there any way to include iptables sources to c++ aplication and just call do_command() ?

If I'll use libiptc library:
Is it possible to use libiptc in C++?
How can I access layer7 match?

Long version:

I have a project for analyzing network flow of services on server providing Internet connection for small LAN. I created a perl script for setting iptables firewall (from text filelist of users) and reading counters calling system("iptables -L vxn") and spliting data in perl script. This is too slow for real time statistic, so I decide to create C/C++ aplication for this purpose.

I have few requirements on this application:

- I need to use Layer7 extension for iptables - for recognizing some services (p2p for example) - Clint/Server based model ( I would like to modify/read iptables structure using webbase client - php ) - If it's possible - have access to database server (I'm not sure if this is possible in C)

I already create piece of C code using libiptc to access iptables counters and create new chains, but I couldn't find any learn examples how to insert rules using libiptc etc.. I think that it will be quicker and better to use iptables sources and just call do_command(), but...

The questions:
Is there any way to include iptables sources to c++ aplication and just call do_command() ?

If I will use libiptc
Is it possible to use it in C++?
How can I access layer7 match?

I see 3 solutions:

1)
Create C++ aplication and just call system( .. ) everywhere when i need to modify/read firewall - but I'm sure that it will be still too slow.

2)
Use Libiptc just for reading counters and all other do by calling system() - not very nice solution and I'm not sure if this is possible in C++

3)
Use pure C using iptables source codes - but how? I was testing just by modifing iptables-standalone.c - it works fine.

It seems that it will be little bit challange for me (I'm not experienced C/C++ programmer ;)

Thank you very much for answers!

Cheers,
Vitek