Re: ip6tables problem

On 12/20/06, Asfand Yar Qazi <ayqazi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Argh - still no luck.  I can now ping6 remote destinations, but I
can't, for example, establish ssh connections.  I can't even ssh to
another local box over eth0!

To summarise, here's where it stands:

ip6tables -N filter6
ip6tables -A filter6 -p icmpv6 -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -m state --state NEW -i ! tunbt6 -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -j REJECT

ip6tables -A INPUT -j filter6
ip6tables -A FORWARD -j filter6

To force it to let me ssh around to and from my router box, I am
forced to do this:
ip6tables -N filter6
ip6tables -A filter6 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -i lo -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -p icmpv6 -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -m state --state NEW -i ! tunbt6 -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
ip6tables -A filter6 -j REJECT

ip6tables -A INPUT -j filter6
ip6tables -A FORWARD -j filter6

Anybody know what's happening?

And let me just add that doing what I did on the last bit only lets me
ssh to/from this router box inside my network (over eth0) - why was
enabling lo explicitly necessary?

Thanks