ipset: how to run non-root

Hi all,

I'm trying to use ipset from a php script on an apache server.

ipset requires root user in order to execute, but the webserver is running as apache. suexec is not a possibility because it won't execute programs with root permissions. It is possible to have a cron job perform the task but that introduces a time delay.

I've tried changing ownership of ipset to apache:apache but that didn't work. Still received the "must be root" warning.

I looked into the source of ipset.c but it seems like the socket() call must be done as root, and I don't know how to hack around that.

Does anybody know how I might accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mike Wright