iptables promisc mode

Hi, it seems like a couple of people have asked for this before but I havent seen any answers.

I want iptables to get packages that do not belong to the machine, packages that are directed to others but came to me due to promisc mode. I have found a patch from November 2001 that seems to do what I want but after manually trying to patch it in my userspace utils segfaults. I am not a programmer so no surprise I didnt manage. The old patch is here: http://idea.hosting.lv/a/iptables-promisc/

So, why do I want this? (maybe you can tell me that I should do it in another way) I am having a routing switch that is mirroring the internet traffic into 2 interfaces in a linux machine, this machine is for example running ntop to look at what people are doing (that they shouldnt do). One of the things I/we are interested to find out is if people uses peer to peer protocols like Direct Connect / Bittorrent. My idea was to solve this with iptables layer7 filter (l7-filter.sourceforge.net), ulogd and mysql. But since I cant build ULOG rules that catch the packages I am stuck.

The reason to choose iptables is that I can store all the information about the protocols I am interested in. Ntop doesnt have the history that I want.

I am very thankful for whatever help/directions I can get.

--
Magnus Månsson