CONNMARK target's dependency on MANGLE table

Hi list,

My setup is:
 - kernel 2.6.18.2, iptables 1.3.5,
 - only IPv4, no IPv6,
 - kernel .config includes CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=n (no mangle table).

I simply want to use the CONNMARK target (and the associated connmark
match) in the filter table (OUTPUT chain).
I'm aware that I won't be able to use the "--restore-mark" option
since I won't be in the mangle table (I saw that
net/netfilter/xt_CONNMARK.c's checkentry prevents it -- unless I'm
missing something, that's the only mangle-related thing in that file).
But I should be able to use the "--set-mark" option in the filter
table, shouldn't I?

Unfortunately, the kernel configurator doesn't let me select the
CONNMARK target: in net/netfilter/Kconfig,
NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CONNMARK has a dependency on IP_NF_MANGLE ||
IP6_NF_MANGLE (both of which are "n" here, so no CONNMARK target for
me).

I was wondering, what is the reason for this? It feels weird having to
activate the mangle table when I don't want it, only in order to be
allowed to compile xt_CONNMARK.c...

Thanks,
Francois