Re: REF: Blocking Yahoo

lubasi wrote:

Dear All,

I'm new to this list and netfilter as a whole.

I have setup rules on my iptables and when i block yahoo, only those
using gaim IM client using yahoo are blocked but the native yahoo IM
client is passing through my firewall. Whats wrong with my chains
below. Thank you in advance.

My chains

#Block Yahoo Messnger
/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -s MYNETWORK/24 -d 216.155.193.0/22 -j DROP

Yahoo IM protocol can tunnel through port 80 , I believe Gaim also has this feature( tweak the network settings ). IMO best bet to block yahoo using netfilter is l7-filter.sourceforge.net, but this requires a kernel+iptables patch.
HTH,
Jasbir