Transparent splitting

Hi,

I am trying to find a way of transparently intercepting packets
flowing across my network, so that I can transform them for use in
another application.

The reason I am trying to do this transparently is so that TCP
clients/servers can operate seamlessly without having to worry about
the proxy machine(s).

I know that I can redirect the traffic to a proxy of my choice (a la
-j REDIRECT), but I don't want to have to replicate the client/server
interactions.

I was thinking I might be able to do this just using a kernel module
with netfilter hooks, but I can't see any obvious way of doing this.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks.