Ip_conntrack enhancement idea

All,

I am having some issues with servers that run caching DNS and iptables
-- the ip_conntrack table overflows resulting in dropped packets.  I am
wondering what the value is in tracking connections whose source and
destination are both 127.0.0.1 -- would it be possible to flag such
packets so that no ip_conntrack table entry gets created for them at
all?  For my servers this can represent a third of the total tracked
connections (ip_conntrack_max is set at 65536 on systems with 2GB of
RAM).

I know this can be addressed other ways -- I am working to get the
server upgraded from its current kernel (2.4.21) to something newer so
that I can change the default ip_conntrack timeout value (I don't really
want to increase the ip_conntrack_max), but thought I should bring this
up.  Perhaps in other situations it's desirable to track localhost
connections, but I can't think of a good reason why.

Thanks,

Richard Wilson

richard dot wilson at eds dot com