Re: performance impact by increasing number of ipsets

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Retesh wrote:

> I want to increase the number of IPsets in a system to a high number
> say 50000 (default is 255). What will be the impact on performance?

No problem - the sets are referred by index in netfilter (i.e
in the iptables rules). The set *creation* in such a high number can take
a while, however.

> Has someone tried this, or can some explain the implementation of the
> ipsets, so that I can estimate the impact on kernel?

I haven't heard about such an extreme setup. But if such a high number of
sets are really required I'd investigate other solutions like nf-hipac,
which might easily be a better solution.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx