Re: Two identical ips connected

On Mon, October 16, 2006 09:55, Julian Hagenauer wrote:
> Hi,
> is it possible somehow possible to attach two computers with the same ip to a
> router, and let the router rewrite/masquerade the ip of one of those computers
> with iptables, so that both could be accessed with different ips?

I don't think you can.

> Can you give my some hints how this could be achieved?

If you packet would make it to the router and the router had this configuration:
- eth0: 192.168.1.0/24
- eth1: 192.168.1.0/24
the router cannot distinguish the subnets.

But you'd not even get that far.
When you send a packet from a client to the server and this server has same IP
as the client (thus src and dst IP are the same), then the packet wouldn't
even make it to the router: it would be sent to itself.

Grts,
Rob