SNAT of ICMP errors: impossible?

Hello,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct list to aks for this:

I have an IPSec-tunnel
        172.20.0.0/16---<my gateway>===<other gateway>---10.72.50.0/24
One problem is, that between <other gateway> and the target network, there
is an MTU bottleneck that requires reducing the MTU from 1500 bytes to
some lower value.
Via iproute, I did specify this reduced MTU for the corresponding route on
my gateway, and my gateway does generate corresponding ICMP messages (host
unreachable: fragmentation needed), BUT
        my gateway does send these messages with Src-Address: <my public
ip> to Dst-Address: <10.72.50.x>,
so that they, of course, do not cross the tunnel.
As I did find out, this kind of packets does not seem to enter the
POSTROUTING chain, so I cannot SNAT them.

What can I do?

Best Regards and many thanks in advance for your input,
Frank Mayer
UNIX Systemadministration
KNAPP Systemintegration GmbH
Waltenbachstrasse 9