Reading /proc/net/ip_conntrack still slow / causing packet loss?

Hi!

http://ds9a.nl/klogbot/?year=2005&month=7&day=1&hour=16

quote from the url above:

"<Gandalf> cap_: the most extreme experience I have is reading
/proc/net/ip_conntrack on a fairly busy router... that really slows wthings
down and packets get dropped because of the slowdown"

"<Gandalf> and I had an identd daemon wich forwarding support that read
/p/n/ip_conntrack for each incoming ident request... 200ms forwarding delays
and lots of drops each time an ident request came in :)"

Is that information still valid for the current 2.6 kernels? How about for
2.4 ?

Thanks!

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen