ipsec and iptables

Hello,

this is somehow a continuation of a thread I started in lists.openswan.org, which was probably a little bit off-topic there, and might be more on topic here, as it is mainly iptables related.

The short story:

I'm looking for for in-depth documentation for the iptables "ipsec policy match" module. It might be just the right thing to solve my iptables/ipsec-problems; but the information given with "iptables -m policy -h" is not very intuitive.

The long story:

In the good old times of super-freeswan and kernel 2.4 I was a happy user of ipsec interfaces. These allowed me to define rules like that:

1. $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport isakmp -d $FIREWALL_EXT_IP -j ALLOW
2. $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p esp -d $FIREWALL_EXT_IP -j ALLOW
3. $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i ipsec0 -d $INTERNAL_NET -j ALLOW

(All with stateful inspection switched on.)

This, filtering traffic based on the fact, that it came from the ipsec interface and thus was "authenticated" somehow, is something I miss in the current OpenSWAN implementation (and, yes, the compilation of the module fails with the current 2.6 kernel).

Thus I allow all AH/ESP-traffic to the firewall, like above in 1. and 2.
How do I write rule no. 3 now, without ipsec interfaces at hand? How do I filter what's originating from the ipsec-stack, and is directed to the local net? I allready know, that the "ipsec policy match" module might bring me further, I even received a suggestion for a rule:

> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD  -m policy --dir in -i eth2 --pol  ipsec \
> -m state --state NEW  -j ACCEPT

OK, let's do some naive painting. In the following picture, my packet "X" has passed the rules 1 and 2 on the INPUT chain, allowing it to pass through to the OPENSWAN-Software. It got authenticated by openswan and is now passed back to the iptables stack.

outside------->FORWARD--------->inside
       |                    |
     INPUT                OUTPUT
       |_____(OPENSWAN)_X___|

How would the firewall rule look, that allowed the packet to go right through to my internal net? Like stated above? What I do not understand, is that the rule is appending to the FORWARD chain, but isn't the packet coming from the inside of the firewall, because it has passed an internal process, and thus should append to the OUTPUT chain? Or is it passed back to the forward chain, because after "unwrapping", it's header identifies it as a packed coming from an external private subnet, being directed to a internal private subnet?

And is the packet somehow "marked" by openswan, so that iptables "knows" it passed through? How does this whole "match policy" stuff actually work, by the way?

I allready read through most of the HOWTOS on netfilter.org again; but as of now, I did not find anything related to my problem.

Well, folks, I know I deserve a RTFM - but please let me know, where I find the FM! Now it "pays back", that I haven't done IPSEC on the commandline for such a long time (I'm using fwbuilder, silly me!). :-(

Thanks in advance,

A.
--
dawin GmbH - Andreas Stallmann - Consultant
http://www.dawin.de