Re: Query

On Fri, February 10, 2006 14:46, David Vogt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> iptables provides facilites to queue packets that traverse the kernel
> to a user space application. You can specify rules that define which
> packets are sent to user space. Furthermore, you can modify packet
> data to be reinjected into the kernel.
>
> I would suggest reading the manpage of libipq, providing a simple API
> to receive the packets. A very simple example application can be found
> there as well.
> As to reinjection, read the ipq_set_verdict man page.
> Hope that helps a little bit.

Yes, but still : can you give me a reason why I would use
iptables/netfilter/libipq to sniff and log packets when I can do it with
tcpdump or something ?
The OP says <quote>I want to capture IP packets so that I can compress it and
then send it to the receiver</quote>. If he just wants to capture packets, it
seems to me that using iptables for this is a bit more difficult.

Gr,
Rob