Re: HTTP slower than SSH on client behind iptables

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
I have a standard NAT box; the essential configuration for discussion
purposes on the box is just IP masquerading.

On the NAT box, my Internet connection goes up to about 700 kilobytes per
second, regardless of the protocol used (e.g., ssh or http).
On clients behind the NAT box, however, HTTP connections seem to top out
around 70 kilobytes per second. ssh connections (e.g., rsync) get the
full throughput of the Internet connection.

As far as NAT goes, I don't hvae any special settings.

Can anyone think of an explanation for this behavior? It doesn't make any
sense to me.

Are you sure, you don't have some kind of a traffic shaping
active on the NAT gateway's internal interface?

For example: If tc is used, you could check that using:

tc class show dev <nat_box_internal_interface>

and

tc filter show dev <nat_box_internal_interface>