Request for Feedback: iptables Usability

Hi all,

  I'm currently looking at iptables from a usability perspective, as part of a usability engineering class. If anyone would like to share any of the following, it would be most helpful:

- What you use iptables for
- The most common tasks you do with iptables, and how you do them
- Comments about what you find irritating/inefficient about iptables

Part of my project requires that I actually do make improvements to the system, so hopefully I'll be able to generate a patch that resolves some of the most common complaints/requests, or helps to accelerate some of the most common tasks. Note that I'm NOT doing a re-write, or generating an entirely new front end -- simply adding or tweaking the functionality of the existing iptables application.

Please address any replies to this E-mail specifically to me -- I (and I'm sure many others) don't want to start a huge gripe-fest thread on the list :). Also, I'll be hanging around #iptables on freenode (nick "ai2097"), if folks would prefer to get a hold of me that way.

Thanks,

-- Travis