Using iptables on a single NIC to map old IP addresses onto new.

I want to map all ports on a.a.a.2 to b.b.b.2 and all ports
on a.a.a.3 to
b.b.b.3

Can something like this be done using iptables if I only
have 1 NIC card and I do not have a physically separate
subnet?

Why not use "ifconfig" (or "ip addr") to add multiple IP addresses (old
and new) to the NIC ?
Then, when the transition is complete, you just remove the old
addresses.

That was my first thought. I bound a.a.a.2 and b.b.b.2 to the same box.
I obviously have two pipes. If I set the default route on the box to the
a.a.a.1 router I can ping a.a.a.2 from the outside but not b.b.b.2. If I
switch to the b.b.b.1 router the opposite happens.

arp cache has entries for both routers. I can ping both routers from the box in question.

I would have expected packets to come down either pipe and go out
whichever one happens to be the default gateway.

I've been assuming either it's some issue on the routers themselves or there is some issue with the 2.2 kernel and binding IPs from separate networks (old machine which I can't take down yet.) but it's been alot of long hours and little sleep so maybe I'm missing something stupidly obvious.

DTLink Software                                 http://www.dtlink.com
             Internet Business Systems and Software