Re: Two interfaces - question

Marcin Giedz wrote:

Dnia środa, 4 stycznia 2006 12:16, vikrant napisał:
Marcin Giedz wrote:
Hello,

In my INtel Blade server I have two ethernet interfaces: eth0, eth1. Now
only one is working, the another one is not configured. However I'd like
to have something like dynamic routing: if one interfaces is down the
second one if
i am getting little confused when u say interface goes down please
explain .
OK - very spimle. Let's say that network cable is damage or someone has disconnected cable from the card. If one cable is unplagged (eth0) the second one (eth1) becames master.

what do u mean from interface does down whether interface card become
inactive or network cable get damage or ISP connection goes down please
clarify it .

up. If first returns up the second one goes down.

Does anyone know how can I do this?

Thx,
Marcin
Thanks
Vikrant

I am considering that both the interfaces are using as external interface.
I don't know the right way to track the connectivity ,I think Routing Protocol e.g BGP,RIP,IGP or OSPF are the solution for this kind of problem. But ,what i did to do this ,write a script that ping the ISP DNS and set the status value (variable)according to packet loss % and then take action according to the status value , ifdown eth0 -> ifup eth1 -> make changes to iptables rules , and vice-versa. add the script in crontab so that it runs after a certain time period and perform the checking.
I am just a beginner so please do not consider it as the final solution.
Please know me if u find the right ans to ur ques.
and sorry for bad english.

Thanks
Vikrant