Re: NATTING_help

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 17:42 +0300, compuomari wrote:
> Dears,
> I have a scenario that is somehow making me have a hardtime , i have a
> wiless access point that get the internat access from my linux box, i
> want any user that uses my internet to get a lnading page for my self (
> some kind of advertisment ) and then go to the internet , i don't need
> authentication , but i dont want this landing page occuring many more
> than once for the user ... anyhow , how can i do it with iptables? i
> want to DNAT all users to an internal apache server , then SNAT them to
> the inernet , how is that possible? double natting? proxying ? i need
> your help ..

i have effectively done this, (it is a registration system for the
campus that i work at).

overview:

1) use the mangle table to determine if users are forced (dnat'ed) to
the landing page (internal apache server)

2) use apache's mod_rewrite to capture any document in the web space.

3) once they view the page and click a link or hit a submit button have
a cgi that add's their ip to the mangle table that allows them passage
through the firewall (without being dnat'ed). also this cgi can print
out a http location header to send them to the original web site that
they wanted to go to.

the system that i helped build is mildly complex and consists of a
database for user tracking, scanning (using nessus), radius
authentication, ucarp (unfortunately not working yet), and other things.

but a stripped down version could be done with just one or two cgi's and
some firewall rules.

-matt zagrabelny