Re: [netfilter] Re: iptables problem (nfcan: addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

Jim Laurino wrote:

You can arrange to have the firewall in question
respond to 3 IP addresses on the outside interface and
forward the now distinct traffic to the 3 kiosks.
If this is possible, it might be better than being screwed.

That would be nice, but no can do. Remember, the server end, or receiving end, is a third party company. They have hundreds, if not thousands of these little kiosks scattered across the country. We are but a tiny little company with three of those kiosks. Each kiosk makes an outbound FTP connection to the server. Then the server makes an inbound connection back to the kiosk. This is where it fails because it doesn't know where it came from since the kiosks are behind the firewall.

Putting the kiosks OUTSIDE the firewall (with different IPs) also won't work because they also need to communicate (via windows shares) to internal machines, again, same scenario...they contact a print station, and the print station contacts them. So you see, being screwed is the only option I see here. Unless I'm overlooking something.

And I can't tell the other company to send data to separate IPs either because their system works based on the packet they first receive when the kiosk contacts them. Which goes back to my point above (about putting the kiosks outside the firewall.)

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130